ZEN-SEM

Friday, March 17, 2006

Spam: Google vs. MSN

While going through ranking reports today I noticed something that was just flat out wrong! I manage a client that has had previous SEO done to their site. As I went through the site I noticed some old spam in the page. About half the coding on the home page was spam.

I instructed the client to move it immediately! In the last two bi-monthly ranking reports I've noticed that the Google Rankings have steadily increased... Now here is the part that is just flat out wrong the MSN rankings have started to decrease...

Now I know that MSN backlinks are easily gamed, anyone can plop a site wide link up for a term and in 2 weeks start to rank for the link text. Now I'm starting to see that the on page content is very prone to spam as well.

Here's a good example:

A search for "Dallas Movers" pulls up a good example of spam in both search.msn.com and live.com

The site h2movers is about as bad as it gets... MSN has a very long way to go if they want to beat out Google. Google is what it is because they've held the #1 search engine position for so long. They have actively had people try and game their system because of that #1 spot. Everytime someone catches on to a loop hole in the Google system, the Google engineers have plugged it.

In conclussion, I can't put the spam back nor will I for the client. A drop in MSN rankings is a loss I'm willing to take for a gain in Google. As per MSN you've got a long way to go before you can over take anyone, I'm sure all the spammers out there are rooting for ya :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home